NFB’S SHORT-ANIMATION SERIES NAKED ISLAND NOW ONLINE. Acclaimed and emerging artists use wit and satire to examine modern society.
January 23, 2017 – Montreal – National Film Board of Canada (NFB)
Now online, Naked Island is a bold new National Film Board of Canada (NFB) series of 14 super-short and incisive films, framed as Public Service Alerts, from some of Canada’s most talented animators and artists, exploring their visions of modern-day society.
Available for free streaming at NFB.ca as well as the NFB’s YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook and Instagram channels, Naked Island blends the art of animation with the format of advertising to address an array of topics, from global warming to politics to our obsession with technology.
Ranging from Oscar and Genie winners and nominees to emerging talent in animation and fine arts, Naked Island filmmakers make bold statements in a variety of styles to create ultimate anti-advertisements, using wit and satire to encourage us to stop and think.
Naked Island is produced by Jelena Popović and Maral Mohammadian of the NFB English Animation Studio, with Michael Fukushima as executive producer.
Filmmakers and films
- Albertosaurus ― directed and animated by Munro Ferguson
- All We Need Is War ― directed by Luka Sanader; animated by Frances McKenzie
- Be Cool ― directed and animated by Chris Landreth
- Blood ― directed and animated by Theodore Ushev
- Detention ― directed by David Seitz and Elle-Maija Tailfeathers; animated by David Seitz
- Hipster Headdress ― directed and animated by Amanda Strong
- The Law of Expansion and Simulated Life ― directed by Malcolm Sutherland
- Protest ― directed by The Sanchez Brothers
- Sext Apes ― directed by Laurence Vallières
- Sober ― directed and animated by Elise Simard
- Survival of the Fittest ― directed and animated by Eva Cvijanović
- We Drink Too Much and We Eat Shit― directed and animated by Chris Lavis & Maciek Szczerbowski (Clyde Henry Productions)
Naked Island YouTube
Naked Island Vimeo
NFB Publicist – Montreal
Director, Communications and Public Affairs, NFB
About the NFB
The National Film Board of Canada (NFB) is a leader in exploring animation as an artform, a storytelling medium and innovative content for emerging platforms. It produces trailblazing animated works both in its Montreal studios and across the country, and it works with many of the world’s leading creators on international co-productions. NFB productions have won more than 7,000 awards, including seven Oscars for NFB animation and seven grand prizes at the Annecy festival. To access this unique content, visit NFB.ca.