New Brunswick filmmaker Monique LeBlanc’s captivating portrait of renowned local author David Adams Richards to open Fredericton’s Silver Wave Film Festival
October 16, 2023 – Halifax – National Film Board of Canada (NFB)
The 2023 Silver Wave Film Festival in Fredericton (November 2 to 9) will kick off with the Atlantic Canada festival premiere of Monique LeBlanc’s deeply evocative CinImage Productions/National Film Board of Canada (NFB) feature documentary on renowned New Brunswick author David Adams Richards.
Screening for the first time in New Brunswick, The Geographies of DAR will open the festival on Thursday, November 2, at 7 p.m. at the Charlotte Street Arts Centre, followed by a Q&A with LeBlanc and Richards. The gala party takes place at 9:30 p.m.
The Geographies of DAR uncovers the profound connection between Richards’ personal experiences, his literary works and the harsh yet beautiful landscapes of Miramichi, which have shaped his storytelling.
Silver Wave will also present an online screening of Adrian Wills’ transformative feature-length documentary A Quiet Girl, produced by the NFB’s Quebec & Atlantic Studio in Halifax.
More about the films
The Geographies of DAR (75 min)
Produced by Monique LeBlanc for CinImage Productions and Christine Aubé and Rohan Fernando for the NFB
Press kit: mediaspace.nfb.ca/epk/the-geographies-of-dar
- The Geographies of DAR is a captivating film that explores the life and literary works of David Adams Richards. Through stunning visuals, insightful interviews and excerpts from his writings, the film uncovers the profound connection between Richards and Miramichi.
- Richards opens up about his childhood, his struggles and demons, and his unwavering belief in God, providing candid and perceptive insights into cruelty, love, faith and the human experience. The film is an elegy to the joys, suffering, mercies and beauty of life, celebrating the indomitable spirit and courage of this extraordinary New Brunswick writer.
- Acadian New Brunswick filmmaker Monique LeBlanc’s credits include collaborations with the NFB, CBC, Bravo, the History Channel and the Movie Network. Her adaptation of Louise Dupré’s acclaimed book of poetry, Higher Than Flames Will Go(2020), stands as a cinematic tour de force. The Geographies of DAR is her fourth feature documentary and fifth collaboration with the NFB.
A Quiet Girl by Adrian Wills (86 min)
Online screening only
Produced by Annette Clarke and Rohan Fernando for the Quebec & Atlantic Studio
Press kit: mediaspace.nfb.ca/epk/a-quiet-girl
- When filmmaker Adrian Wills sets out to discover the story behind his adoption, his voyage reveals startling truths he could never have imagined, and shocking details he had tried to forget.
- Wills is an award-winning director, series co-creator and showrunner. A Quiet Girl is his first film with the NFB and his most personal one yet.
– 30 –
French version here | Version française ici.
About the NFB
The NFB is Canada’s public producer and distributor of award-winning documentaries, auteur animation, interactive stories and participatory experiences, working with talented creators across the country. The NFB is taking action to combat systemic racism and become a more open and diverse organization, while working to strengthen Indigenous-led production and gender equity in film and digital media. NFB productions have won more than 7,000 awards, including 12 Oscars. To access this unique content, visit NFB.ca.