International animation co-productions. NFB signs new agreement to collaborate with renowned filmmaker Andreas Hykade. Also: a new Canada-France co-production with acclaimed graphic novelists Guy Delisle, Zviane, Lewis Trondheim and Aude Picault, and a project in development with Nicola Lemay and Janice Nadeau.
June 16, 2016 – Annecy, France – National Film Board of Canada (NFB)
The National Film Board of Canada (NFB) is pleased to announce a new international co-production agreement with a production house in Germany, for an exciting new animation project entitled Altötting, by renowned filmmaker Andreas Hykade. This is the NFB’s first agreement with production company Studio Film Bilder and its second animation co-production agreement with Germany.
In addition, a new co-production agreement with France will spotlight the talent of celebrated Canadian and French graphic novelists, with a series of four short films directed by Guy Delisle, Zviane, Lewis Trondheim and Aude Picault. The collection is titled Les chroniques du 9e art (NFB/Sacrebleu Productions). A new film is also in development with Folimage: Harvey, by Nicola Lemay and Janice Nadeau.
Altötting by Andreas Hykade
- Synopsis: A young boy rides his bike many kilometres to the next village each week, drawn by the numerous paintings depicting the Passion of the Christ in the village chapel. But the boy’s own passions are altogether different…
- Germany (Thomas Meyer-Hermann for Studio Film Bilder)/Canada (Marc Bertrand for the NFB) co-production
- Expected completion date: February 2018
Les chroniques du neuvième art, a series of four short films by graphic novelists Guy Delisle, Zviane, Lewis Trondheim and Aude Picault
- Synopsis: In 3-to-4-minute-long stories, these graphic-novelists-turned-directors explore the creativity and simplicity of everyday life. This micro-series is marked by its playful approach and unique visual styles. Working with experienced animators, the four directors create highly original situations—some drawing on their existing work and others based on brand-new narratives.
- A Canada (Julie Roy and Marc Bertrand for the NFB)/France (Ron Dyens for Sacrebleu Productions) co-production. Broadcasters are Canal+ in France and ICI ARTV in Canada.
- Expected completion date: Late summer 2017
Harvey, by Nicola Lemay and Janice Nadeau (in development)
- Synopsis: Based on the graphic novel of the same name, written by Hervé Bouchard and illustrated by Janice Nadeau, Harvey is a story about the grief experienced by a young child who suddenly loses his father.
- It is the second project co-directed by Nicola Lemay and Janice Nadeau, following No Fish Where to Go (NFB, 2014), which won the FIPRESCI Prize at the Annecy Festival.
- A France (Folimage)/Canada (Marc Bertrand for the NFB) co-production
- Expected completion date: Winter 2019
Studio Film Bilder
Online Screening Room: NFB.ca
NFB Publicist – Montreal
Director, Communications and Public Affairs, NFB
About the NFB
The National Film Board of Canada (NFB) is a leader in exploring animation as an artform, a storytelling medium and innovative content for emerging platforms. It produces trailblazing animated works both in its Montreal studios and across the country, and it works with many of the world’s leading creators on international co-productions. NFB productions have won more than 7,000 awards, including seven Oscars for NFB animation and seven grand prizes at the Annecy festival. To access this unique content, visit NFB.ca.