November 8, 2022 – Montreal – National Film Board of Canada (NFB)
Martja Pajek’s multi-award-winning animated short Impossible Figures and other stories I (Animoon/National Film Board of Canada) is being featured as a Staff Pick on Vimeo, starting November 8.
Impossible Figures and other stories I has been selected by more than 50 festivals around the world, including the Ottawa International Animation Festival, the GLAS Animation Festival in Los Angeles and the World Festival of Animated Film – Animafest Zagreb. The film has won 10 awards to date, including the Jury Grand Prix at the Animateka International Animated Film Festival in Slovenia and the Golden Dove for Best Animated Short Film at DOK Leipzig, a short films qualifying festival for the 95th Academy Awards.
The final film (and first part) of Marta Pajek’s award-winning trilogy, Impossible Figures and other stories I is a mysterious and haunting portrait of personal and societal self-destruction. The film will also be available November 8 on nfb.ca.
Watch the whole trilogy on Vimeo
This marks the first time that cinephiles will be able to watch Marta Pajek’s trilogy for free in one place.
Vimeo has also selected Impossible Figures and other stories II (2016) to be a Staff Pick starting November 8. This film has garnered more than 20 awards, including the Grand Prize at the Stuttgart Animation Festival.
Then on November 9, Impossible Figures and other stories III (2018) will have its turn in the spotlight as a Staff Pick Premiere. This film garnered several international awards following its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival.
“Vimeo is proud to feature filmmaker Marta Pajek’s brilliant animated trilogy Impossible Figures and other stories in our Vimeo Staff Picks channel. Parts ‘I’ and ‘II’ have been chosen for a Vimeo Staff Pick, and ‘III’ will be presented as an upcoming Staff Pick Premiere. Each segment’s imaginative depictions of anxiety around aging, loneliness, fertility, and freedom of choice are an extremely relevant contribution to the global discourse around a woman’s right to choose in 2022.” – Vimeo
“Until now, these films have only been presented separately at festivals. Thanks to Vimeo, audiences around the world can now see the whole trilogy. The world has changed profoundly during the eight years of production of the Impossible Figures and other stories trilogy and I saw myself changing with each film, too. I’m thrilled that these three films are being presented together at last.” – Marta Pajek
Selected awards for Impossible Figures and other stories I:
- Golden Dove for Best Short Animated Film, DOK Leipzig, Germany (2021)
- Jury Grand Prix, Animateka International Animated Film Festival, Ljubljana, Slovenia (2021)
- Special Mention, Balkanima, Belgrade, Serbia (2021)
- Special Mention, Grand Competition – Short Film, World Festival of Animated Film – Animafest Zagreb (2022)
- Prix de la Vision, PIAFF, Paris International Animation Film Festival (2022)
- Best Short Film, Kino Pavasaris – Vilnius International Film Festival (2022)
- Grand Prix, LINOLEUM International Contemporary Animation and Media Art Festival (2022)
More about Impossible Figures and other stories I
Impossible Figures and other stories I by Marta Pajek (16 min)
A Polish Film Institute co-financed production between Animoon (Piotr Szczepanowicz, Grzegorz Wacławek) and the National Film Board of Canada (Maral Mohammadian)
Press kit: mediaspace.nfb.ca/epk/impossible-figures-and-other-stories-i
- Following an explosion, a mysterious and elegant elderly woman wanders deserted city streets, recalling what was and what could have been.
- The final film (and first part) of Marta Pajek’s acclaimed trilogy, Impossible Figures and other stories I is a mysterious and haunting portrait of personal and societal self-destruction.This is the Polish filmmaker’s first collaboration with the NFB.
– 30 –
French version here | Version française ici.